There are a lot of people aspiring to become a good customer service representative to one establishment of the other. Yes, it’s important that you know the description of any job you would like to do so that you don’t have any cause to regret after taking up the job.
You may think being a customer service representative is very simple, but I must tell you, it is not as easy as you may think. I want to share this with you from my personal experience.
I attended a training on customer service and telemarketing in Lagos, Nigeria. There was a lady who also enrolled in the training with me, she came all the way from Abuja to attend the training in Lagos.
On the second day of the training we were taught odd things to expect as a customer service representative.
As the class was still going on, the instructor made mention of being insulted as a customer service representative, the lady stood up and ask the instructor some questions if there is no way that the insult can be avoided, the instructor replied NO, that because of the fact that you will be meeting different customers’ personality types that there is no way to avoid the insult.
The lady said that she can never continue in the training again, she took her flight back to Abuja, forfeiting the training fee and the accommodation she paid for.
I published an article at Ezinearticles about Dealing with difficult personalities in customer service which i recommend you read it.
Yes, most people hate to be insulted, but insult is one of the things you should expect as a customer service representative. Well, that is a topic for another day. Let’s get down to the business of the day.
Lifestyle of a customer service representative
Generally, you must be a people person, I mean friendly. You must be patient, note that in your job, you will constantly meet with difficult people, don’t easily lose your temper, always be calm. You must be creative, make something out of nothing to serve your customers well.
Your job description as a service representative
The main aim of this article is to outline the roles a representative has to play in any establishment. There are two types of Customer service representative job description.
The On-call service representative and the Desk representatives. Most companies dedicate some phone lines for receiving their customers’ queries while some use the desk representative which is the face to face representative.
On-call service representative job description
- Reacts to approaching client calls concerning new and existing client accounts inside a call center environment.
- Keeps up organization benchmarks throughout recorded calls to guarantee superb administration.
- Takes arriving calls and makes outbound calls when they are important.
- Receives complaints from customers and providing a lasting solution to them.
- Providing a detailed record of all the calls made between the service representative and the customer.
- Receives request by clients to cancel or to create new accounts.
- Applying the required services to the existing accounts by clients.
Desk service representative job description
As a desk representative, you will be given a designated place or office to sit and be taking customers’ complaints.
- Maintains the company’s standard during each conversation with the clients.
- Accepts and cures on location client protests and grievances and raises these to boss when necessary.
- Meets or surpasses a week by week amount of new subscribers to organization dedication program.
- Keeps up logbook of produced and gained requests.
- Plans item establishment arrangements for clients.
- Other related duties may assign to you by your boss.